Friday, December 07, 2007

5 Days

5 Days ago I got a call early on Sunday morning to tell me that my mother was seriously ill and had been rushed into A&E. Within 15 minutes of her arrival she was unconscious. Luckily with the fast thinking NHS direct team and the A&E department, Mum had been diagnosed with symptoms of Meningococcal disease. They pumped her with antibiotics. By 10am I was on the road to be by her side.

I stopped just before the Forth Road Bridge and called Julie for up to date information. Mum's condition had worsened and she was put on a ventilator and was now in Intensive care.

I drove faster.

For 5 days we waited and watched for any signs that she was going to be ok. Each day brought the same news that there had been little change from the previous 24 hours. I think we all prayed every night.

By day 2 they were reducing her dependency on the ventilator. But there was still talk of having to perform a tracheotomy if there were no clear signs she was coming out of her coma.

Day 3 she had her eyes open, and her sedatives and pain killers were being reduced so the Doctors could assess her progress.

Day 4 I could see Mum moving around and showing signs that she wanted the ventilator removed, she was trying to poke it out with her tongue!

Day 5 - at 9 am Dad got a call from the hospital to say that Mum had woken up and was responding. We rushed in to see her, only having to wait another 40 minutes so they could remove the ventilator. But this was great news to us and a huge relief all round. By evening time mum had actually talked to dad.

Day 6 - even though she's still terribly confused, sleepy and weak she had drunk a cup of tea and was just about to get a yogurt as her first meal in 6 days.

Even though she's still fighting the infection we don't know if there are any lasting effects.

We're all exhausted, but thrilled that she's fought her battle hard and got this far.
I wish to thank all my friends, and especially all who phoned to offer support and kind words. Knowing that I had so many caring people around to lean on was a huge support, to us all.

No comments: