Saturday, September 15, 2007

Yes that hurts

Yesterday I had my first physio appointment for my sore back. Over the last 2 months I've had a plethora of differing aches and pains. I even once pulled a muscle from lifting a dining chair, and that left me lying in bed all day whilst my back spasmed.

We did the usual filling in the history of my back problems from the car crash to baby care and general health. She then got me to lie face down on her therapy couch while she had a go at locating the problems and oh my god I nearly jumped off the couch with so much pain. She started off at the base of my skull and pressed on the neck muscle and worked down to my left shoulder. It took all my reserve strength not to jump off that couch. Even my palm became sweaty with the pain. But she was doing her job! She continued down the neck, and into the shoulder and she even showed me the difference by pressing the other side of my neck and shoulder to show me how much less painful that side was.

Next she gave me some ultrasound to help loosen the muscle. Now this is odd as when you say ultrasound I couldn't help of thinking about babies and ultrasounds, but alas no pictures were made during this session.

Finally she gave me a couple of exercises to do which will help lengthen the neck muscles and ease some pain.

I really can't wait to see her again. I felt really happy and good yesterday. I finally had some answers to my crabby mood for the last month because I have been in pain, and tired from not being able to sleep most nights.
Hurrah, hurrah ! :)

No comments: