Wednesday, March 05, 2008

An Eye for An Eye

Right now I look like I've just swallowed some LSD. My pupils are still hugely dilated after my trip to Optical Express (more like comedy express - but more of that later). I decided to see if I would be suitable for laser eye surgery. I already had in mind a budget of about £2400 as the technology advertised seem to fit my needs (very short sighed and with astigmatism). I first spoke to one woman, who was a bit loud and seemed to behave a bit odd. Her discussion with me seemed to be more like rehearsed sales patter. She also reminded me of Shirley Carter from Eastenders *laughs*. Anyway she handed me over to Matesh who then proceeded to numb my eye balls, poke, prod, and shine all sorts of lights in my eyes. Finally he said "Congratulations - you are a suitable candidate for eye surgery" I thought I'd won a prize. Matesh then handed me back to "Shirley" who then noted down the different treatments and here's the crunch - they recommend the most expensive treatment at £3200. Feh I though - but when I asked questions I realised that the only difference between these treatments is that the most expensive one incorporated a laser that did the cutting of the eye, rather than a surgeon performing that part. An extra £800 for a machine to do the cutting work. Ok so the healing time was less and I'd only need 1 day off work rather than 4. But still £800 extra!!! Not too sure what to do at the moment, so will have to think it over for a few days.

No comments: