Thursday, November 19, 2009

We're all sick!

I feel the need to mark my front door with an X to say stay away. Phoebe was very ill last week with a very bad cold/flu symptoms. She's now bouncing around with excitement for her birthday party this weekend - sadly I'm not as I have some awful viral infection in my chest that is making me nauseous 27/7 - so I feel like a large bag of horse manure. I dread to cough because it hurts so much and the phlegm is so god-damn awful tasting it makes me wanna hurl even more. Emily has a cough and is a but under the weather, the dude still has his cough (that's been hanging around for at least 4 months now!).

And back to Marvin, he smells like cat poo! I thought it was just because maybe he had accidentally slipped in the cat litter tray - well it's not. He had is visit to the vet (third this week) to see how he was reacting to his antibiotics - and well ok his temperature is normal, but his mouth was covered in ulcers. Queue guilty feeling owner for not checking. But he's been eating and drinking, though not as much as normal and he still looks very peaky. The vet and I had a chat and he may have some viral infection akin to cat flu. So the plan of action is firstly to change his antibiotics to treat possible viral thingy, and tomorrow she's going to organise a swab for analysis. Which I was surprised to learn has to be sent to Glasgow to be analysed!

Anyway he's in good hands, though Marvin may not be too sure as every time he gets to the vets he now tucks his tail between his legs, and now I (well dude and I) have to wrap the little furrball up in a towel and shove 2 pills down his gullet followed by water -to prevent pills sticking. As if we don't have enough to deal with we can't let the pills gets stuck to his throat because that would be horrid horrid horrid. Remember that feeling of getting paracetamol or an antibiotic stuck in the back of your throat?

It's all a bit worrying as the vet said that this viral infection could be the type that may come back, a bit like the Herpes virus. :( I'm really glad our pet insurance covers him for any illness for the rest of his life :) Pet Plan - I'd recommend them to anyone.

No comments: