Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I've just had a midwife round to have a quick check-up (everything was fine - this time no protein in urine - which is good), and to have a chat about home birth. Well it's a bit of a shock to hear that if there are no midwives available that we have no option but to go to hospital, but then again saying that that would only be a very rare occurrence. Phew. The last thing I want to do is to go into hospital, last time I felt I was totally ignored and they were there just to do a job quickly. Even though I had a straight forward delivery with Phoebe, 12 hours no stitches etc, I still felt I didn't get what I wanted and that was ultimately the use of the birthing pool.

So today we are ordering our pool and I hope there are no delays in the postal service!

Talking about pools with my friend just yesterday and I was shocked to find that when she was in labour they allowed her into the birthing pool when she was only a few centimeters dilated! From the books I've been reading they advise not to get into the pool until you are about 5cm otherwise the pool will slow labour, and this is what happened to her!

I think we are pretty much prepared. Not only is the baby 4/5 engaged but thankfully Drew has a first aid certificate so not only will he be able to deal with any emergency we would also have 2 midwives around and Lisa for support. I know what to expect in labour, I know my rights, I know my pain relief too - surprising to find out that I can get meptid on prescription from the doctors if I feel I really need this for labour - well 'spose its better to have than not. But then again would I be more tempted to use it knowing it's around? I know that sometimes I give in too easily but I really think that only applies to chocolate!

Well here goes, only 3 and a bit weeks left to go.

No comments: