Saturday, July 19, 2008

Top Kid Top Marks

Phoebe came home with her sats report this week. I still can't get my head around what all the numbers mean but apparantly most kids are at level 4 and she's at level5 (thinks she could be at level 6 but they dont teach that far at the school). So I'm pretty chuffed that she's come out at the top grading. I'm hoping her move to Longsands will give her the educational stimulation I think she really needs. I'm happy the existing classes will be split and I look forward to Phoebe making new friends and flourishing in a different environment.

Other things we are (or not as the case may be) is that I'm going to put a hold on Tae Kwon Do lessons. I feel bad about giving it up but for just now my studies are taking a lot of my free time and I really can't devote what time I really need to dedicate to the sport that it really deserves. I don't give up things easily and I tend not to do things in short measures either, if I want do do something I want to do it well! So this will be our last month. As for the studying (and I know some people are going to scream "Geek" at the top of their voices), but well I am enjoying learning about Object Oriented Programming with Java. Ok I do find it tough and once every 6 weeks I have to complete the dreaded TMA (Tutor Marked Assignment) but I do feel pretty chuffed when my code works and I can either make the damned frogs dance or split Maps into Sets. I can just hear those words slipping from your lips "Nerd!" - I say Ha!

It's been pushing the limits of my patience but it's also been stretching my brain which is a good thing a I haven't done this in a while. And I'm really focussed on getting an Open Degree, I can later attempt more coures to get a named Degree, and then if I feel like pushing that boundary some more then maybe a post-grad course.

What else is new - well about £106 pounds worth of school uniform for one! Yep I popped up to Longsands and spent what seems to be more money in one sitting than I probably spend on clothes for myself in one year. Phoebe now has 5 lovely Longsands polo shorts, 2 fleeces, some shorts, 2 sets of lovely red socks, and 2 red polo shirts. Oh darn and now I've realised that come the end of the summer hols I will have to take her shopping for school trousers, shoes, stationary and pens/pencils along with a calculator and some maths equipment - yikes!

Right I'm going to get back to my TMA and try to figure out how to return the values of a Map depending on the top value in the set.

Ciao

No comments: