Thursday, November 02, 2006

I had the crazy health visitor pay us a visit yesterday. I don't mind these health professionals coming round to check on Emily's growth etc, but what I do mind is their relentless stupid questions about my health. I'm a 36 year old professional woman who knows her mind, has a supportive family and network of friends. I have no problem discussing anything with my friends - that includes any health related matters. What bugs me though was this health visitors insistent nature in trying to get me to answer some rather unnerving questions about my mental health after having a baby. For example :

1. I have been able to laugh and see the funny side of things
a) as much as I always could
b) not quite so much now
c) definitely not so much now
d) not at all

now come one it isn't hard to see how many new mums could just answer a) and that's that - job done, health professional happy. Fair enough they may catch some mums with depression but wouldn't it be simpler just to ask the mums, maybe even get to know them better where it would be more fitting to ask these questions. Do the health professionals believe this is a fool proof way?

My favourite question was

10) the thought of harming myself has occurred to me:
a) yes, quite often
b) sometimes
c) hardly ever
d) never

do I answer a) to this one as I've been harming myself with left over chocolate from Halloween!

No comments: