Sunday, November 16, 2008

Kittykats

Yesterday we travelled out to Littleport which is just a few miles north of Ely, to see some Maine Coon cats (and kittens). We met the lovely Lorna and her partner and the whole flock (or is it a herd?) of kittens! Boy I was so surprised by these lovely kittens, so friendly, gentle and very attentive and they loved to play with everything. These cats are so unlike the ordinary domesticus-catticus and I can honestly say I find MC's to be a brilliant breed that are ideal for families.

We also briefly met the 2 females that Lorna is looking to rehome but I wasn't too sure if they were going to fit it as they were very timid and reluctant to meet us, unlike the others who were all over us, and everyone else! I met Samson who has to be the biggest tom cat I have ever seen and wow what a character - he was a big softy too. Drew fell in love with him and really would like a male kitten with Samson as the father. Next we met 2 other females that Lorna is looking to retire next Summer and they were more outgoing (I even got a friendly head butt from one).

So here's the dilemma - if we go for the quieter girls who are more likely to stay in the garden, then I would be worried that one of them would be too timid and may be too scared to be with us at all. Or we go for the outgoing (escape-artist) pair who I think would be great but also if they prefer to roam further afield then I would worry more about them when they go out. And finally do we go for a kitten all by itself or if possible with one of the sets of the females? And if so which kitten - bearing in mind that Phoebe preferred the little Dot (who was the smallest of the litter) or we go for a male (with Samson as the father) who could be a monster size!

No comments: