Monday, November 17, 2008

Todays' lesson was brought to you by

The Department for Transport!
http://talesoftheroad.direct.gov.uk/

Please let your children watch - ok it made me feel tearful but I think well worth watching with your children to explain what is happening.

It's saddens me that schools don't put much emphasis on teaching children how to cycle safely these days. In my day (we are talking about 30 years ago) it was exciting to join the cycling proficiency club and learn how to cycle my bike safely on the roads next to my school. Since I've biked from early childhood and still do now I've cherished the skills I was taught in road safety all those years ago, and I still have my badge and certificate! These skills have given me the confidence to cycle, and use the road wisely, for many years and hopefully many more to come.


Oh yes and another thing - cyclists please please get lights for your bike and bright reflective jackets! I've been hit by a couple of cars in my lifetime and luckily I've got fast reflexes and managed to escape worse injury - some other people might not be so lucky! Be Seen Be Safe ;)


No comments: