Sunday, October 18, 2009

Green and brown stuff

Emily and I spent a couple of hours at the allotment today - I was sad to see someone had tried but failed to break into the shed, the door frame was splintered at the opening as if someone had tried to crowbar it open. Everything is ok, the lock is a bit bent but easily fixed. I just hope the little buggers don't try it again.

Ok back to the green stuff - well its starting to turn brown now. I could see one small courgette left, and I think the runner beans have come to an end. Whats left of the late tomatoes are just starting to turn red but I think some more green tomato chutney may be made this year. The cabbage looked a bit worse for wear after the caterpillar battle but still edible. Brussel sprouts are still to appear, but lettuce is still plenty - did I already ask you if you wanted one? no - go on take TWO, spoil yourself. We have about 3 smallish squashes and the possibility of another 3 making an appearance over the next few weeks - I'm actually delighted with these as Bex put them in late for the year but they've still come up trumps! Today I moved the cardboard off the last area of prepared soil and spent about another hour preparing more ground for the raspberries. Did I tell you the fab guy at the allotment behind us gave us some raspberries? Well he did, and I took 12 (a bit cheeky I know) and planted them today. A couple of them don't look too great but I'll make some effort to go down and water everynight to make sure they get a good start.

I feel a bit tired after all that digging - still not easy to dig and week when I can only use 3 fingers and a thumb on one hand. The one I cut a week ago? Well it's healing but as the nail is cut through it's starting to flap about and I'm really worried one wrong move will erm remove the rest of the nail (cringes).

Today I've also managed to do 4 loads of washing, hanging out to dry, hoovered and dusted most of the house, as well as the allotment! So I'm a bit berty bushed as they say.

Oh Phoebe made the most lovely tasting apple crumble this week - one of her classes at school at the moment is cookery (though they probably call it something like domestic science these days) and this week was apple crumble - most yummy indeed that in fact it's been polished off as I speak.

Ok I gotta go - got to bathe Emily bunny kins and get her PJ's on
Ciao
XXX

No comments: