Monday, January 08, 2007

Bagpuss - Old Cloth Cat

Murphy was loosing weight again so I decided he should finally go to the vet for his yearly checkup. I have to admit for a 15 year old cat he's doing pretty well, despite the bullying incident which has frightened him off going outside to wee. Murphy had been displaying some odd behaviour of dragging his bum on the floor and I figured his anal glands were blocked and not one for squeezing puss filled spots I decided the vet was the best person to do it. Murphy protested at being put in the cat basket, protested loudly at the vets and protested even louder when he had his temperature taken (even I was a bit upset by this - but it's the only way). He hissed after having a blood sample and boy you should have heard Murphy swear when he was having his glands emptied - yuk!

Turns out my old boy is not doing too well and is beginning to suffer from renal disease. I consulted my friend Becky, who is also vet, on this matter. Her advise was well received and I can't thank her enough for setting my mind at rest about how to treat the problem and alleviate any suffering. So it looks like Murphy will be on a new diet from now on, with the occasional vitamin injection, which he had today and I must say he perked up a heck of alot - wolfing down a packet of his new diet wet food and then having a good helping of some of his new diet dry food. I have to say I've never seen him look so interested in his food.

I know it's not a curable condition but the diet should help sustain him a bit longer and I know that at some point in the future we will have to look at putting my dear kitty to sleep.

I've never contemplated a future without any cats and now I'm facing it for real as Elvis will be heading back to his folks when they return from Oz later this year and then Murphy won't be here too. I know I've sworn that I'll have no more pets after this but I've always loved my kitties and still miss my original cats Johnny (Honk Farty Pants), Timmy and Kitty - they were all taken to kitty heaven when they were young. I honestly can't see me being without a kitty friend roaming the house, eating bugs and sleeping in the sun spots.

Cats rule!

1 comment:

Tazja said...

I miss my kitty, Mustard, she lived til just short of 19 years, the last 4 years she had renal disease and the food that helped the most for her was beef, of all things.

Those anal glands are nasty things, sure enough. My mum's male cat gets blockages all the time. Yuck!